Second Life Notes
I'll dump my notes for working around the dumb shit that SL makes me go through to make avatars here. They won't be super organized for now. I don't use avastar and I am much more familiar with Blender than SL, so keep my perspective in mind while referencing this
The default preset for exporting .dae files to SL/OpenSim is still not correct (as of 2.8). The rest of the Sl+Open Sim Rigged/Static presets are all OK except for this needed change:
- -X Forward
- Z Up
- [CHECK] Apply Global Orientation
This stuff took me frustratingly long to figure out because info on the skeleton is just so scattered and/or not beginner friendly. Here's my advice for people who want to make avatars.
- Be familiar with Blender first before trying to learn how to make avatars. Trying to learn SL's bullshit along with Blender at the same time would make me embalm myself. It helps a lot when debugging if you know which program is having the problem.
- This link has downloads to the skeletons.
- This link has some helpful information regarding the skeleton. It's made by the creator of Avastar, which is a paid Blender plugin which makes managing avatars easier.
- Bento bones do not animate if you don't have a animation meant for them. The rest of the skeleton uses the set of default SL animations.
- Straight up ask for help from people you know of who develop. Be polite and specific with questions.
- Bones that don't have any vertex groups associated with them (the mesh will be magenta in weight paint mode) will be ignored by the SL importer, and so will all the bones' children. This includes bones that aren't meant to be animated like mFaceRoot.
When you make an avatar, all the bones need to be named correctly, and in the right order for the bone heirarchy; you can't just rearrange the skeleton in whatever way you want. The mHead bone needs to be attached to the mNeck bone, you can't attach mHead to any other bone. You don't *need* to include every bone that SL supports, like the trillions of face bones, or the collision bones (the bones with all-caps names). At the very least, for your avatar to be accepted and upload correctly, you need this set of bones:
Where mPelvis is the root bone.